Starting the week off with the perfect Memorial Day BBQ recipe, Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon with Avocado Basil Sauce. Spice rub grilled salmon drizzled with sweet and tangy honey mustard. Serve alongside a deliciously addicting avocado basil sauce and top with sweet basily cherry tomatoes – so simple, extra colorful, and super flavorful. A great healthy salmon recipe to throw on the grill for Memorial Day…and every other warm summer night to follow.
It’s crazy that Memorial Day is just a week from today. I say this every single year, so I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but to me, Memorial Day is the unofficial kick off to summer. I think most of you will agree with me on that. It’s exciting, right? I’m ready for the chill days of summer and all the delicious food that comes along with the extra sunshine and long days.
As close as we are to summer, back at home there’s actually a winter storm warning in effect. There’s 8-18 inches of snow predicted in Summit County – ugh. May is one of our “ugliest” months, but come June things will turn the corner, and I cannot wait!
The good news for me is that I’m spending all of this week in LA, and escaping the cold, dreary spring mountain weather. Pretty happy about it, such a fun week ahead!
Anyway, in prep for Memorial Day next week, I’ll be sharing all summer cookout recipes this week! Starting with this colorful and delicious salmon.
Do you all remember a few weeks ago when I made these black pepper chicken fingers? If you happened to have missed that recipe, I highly recommend giving it a scroll through. It’s become everyone’s favorite dinner this past month, mine included. What I love most about those chicken fingers though?
The honey mustard dipping sauce. Ever since I made that sauce, I have been obsessed with it. I’ve used it on everything from chicken, to salads, to this salmon recipe. It’s one of those sauces that’s just so easy make, and so good, that you make it all the time.
I started by rubbing the whole salmon with a mix of spices to create a bit of a rub. I love flavor, so seasoning the salmon before it hits the grill is a must, you know?
Once the salmon is grilled on both sides, drizzle the honey mustard over the warm salmon. The sauce melts overtop creating a luscious sauce that glazes the salmon. It’s almost buttery, but without any butter. It’s slightly tangy, a touch sweet, and all around delicious.
I like to serve this salmon topped with sweet cherry tomatoes and a spicy jalapeño avocado and basil sauce. The avocado sauce is the perfect creamy, spicy sauce to balance out the sweetness from the honey mustard. It’s almost mayo like, but so much better…and kind of addicting. Tip? Leftovers are great on a salad, toast, or even used as a dip.
And the tomatoes? They’re the best topping! Summer is so close, and soon we’ll be needing ideas for all those tasty tomatoes. Just trying to prepare us all!
What’s truly great about this recipe is how simple and easy it is, but yet it has so much going on. So yes, this will be great for grilling over Memorial Day. But it’s going to be equally great as an any night of the week summer dinner. Simple enough for Monday through Friday, but elegant enough for a dinner party with friends.
And healthy…major bonus!
If you make this Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon with Avocado Basil Sauce, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Grilled Honey Mustard Salmon with Avocado Basil Sauce
Spice rub grilled salmon drizzled with sweet and tangy honey mustard. Served with a deliciously addicting avocado basil sauce and topped with sweet basily cherry tomatoes. So simple, extra colorful, and super flavorful.
Avocado Basil Sauce
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- juice from 1 lime
1. Place the salmon in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add the paprika, cumin, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, rubbing the seasonings and oil evenly into flesh.
2. In a glass jar or bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, mustard, honey, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Shake or whisk until smooth and creamy.
3. To make the avocado sauce. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, adding water – 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to thin the sauce.
4. Heat your grill, grill pan or skillet to medium high heat. Place salmon on grill, skin side down. Cover and cook until skin is lightly charred, 4-5 minutes, carefully flip and grill another 3-4 minutes until opaque. Remove the salmon from the grill and drizzle with the honey mustard.
5. Toss together the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
6. To serve, spoon the tomatoes over the salmon and serve the avocado sauce alongside.